Sunday 5 February 2023

Sunday's arrivals!

First in is from Maria and no guesses as to where she lives!! The first word/words give her away!!! She says

"G’day Jane…
My little aborigine would like his head now…
He’s got places to go… people to see… & things to do!
Marla"



Ruth is back with her new 'head' and she says

"Hello Jane,
I am glad you are pleased with my head! I think it is a great idea to challenge people to design their own head.
I have attached pics of my prototypes and my completed "Policeman on point duty - but without his hat to show off his curls" !!
I am going to cut it off because I have stuffed the second join. And I do not like that! I will have another go tonight.
Some hints about what I did if you wish to share. That is totally up to you!!
Used a SCMR, that joins between the two neck picots.
The eyes are 6 ds rings with a decent sized joining picot, so the eyes were separated.
I tried making use of the dreaded 'gaposis' to shift the eyes away from the edge of the face.
12 half stitch josephine knots. I had not done them before!
I learnt to tat in the early 70's but gave up because it was so hard to undo mistakes!! My interest was piqued about 18 months ago When I got involved with the #52tagshannemade challenge run by Anne Brooke (https://www.youtube.com/@AnneBrookeTextileArtist).
And my new shuttle had that useful point for unpicking! Life was so much easier!! And I was hooked and then from the net I found all these youtube videos, I did need a refresher after all those years! And I found lots of techniques I had never heard of before!
I have learnt a lot from the Endrucks challenges I have done! My new technique in the 'Whatsit' was the Victorian set
Regards,
Ruth"

Thanks for a brief look into your history, Ruth.  Really enjoyed hearing that and I'm so glad you're enjoying tatted lace now.





Teresa is next and she says this

"Jane,
Here (finally) is my Day 10 offerings. This trio was quite troublesome today ... at least the solid white-colored one. That was the last one I picked up THIS MORNING. I did the first ring of Day 10 and released it was not the correct stitch count (only after closing it!). Retro-tatted it, re-tatted the ring then started to do the split ring, and realized that I had skipped R15 and the subsequent chain from Day 9. GRRRRRR.
I then re-tatted the SR16 from Day 6 closed it and did SR17 but didn't like the shape as it just didn't do as it should. Looked at my work AGAIN and DUH, realized I had left out the chain of 8 ds preceding R15. At any rate, I think it's correct now but BC3 says NOPE, no guesses for you today!"

That's strange that you'd done the two perfectly easily but then  had problems with your BC3 and the third one.  As the local bard would say - 'all's well that ends well'!!!!



Wanda is next and she’s had a go at designing a head too. She says

“Hi, Jane. After a bit of trouble with a broken thread I finished day 10. It definitely looks like a person, or perhaps a monkey. Or a dancer. When I took it out of my tatting bag it looked like it was dancing! Ready for day 11! Wanda”





Love Cheryl’s drawing that she’s sent in!!! Made me chuckle. She says

“Here's my day 10. I'm thinking ballet dancer. Can't wait for day 11.”




Antonia is next and she’s sent in her day 10 with the following comment.

“Hi Jane
Here is my Day 10. The picture shows my design to make it look like a lyrebird.
Cheers
Antonia”

WOW, it DOES look like a lyrebird, Antonia.  Love that idea.




Now Heidi has come up with two ideas for heads!!! THANK YOU, Heidi. I wondered what I was going to do next with the TIAS!!!! She says

“Morning Jane,
I still think it could be a swimmer, Day of Dead works best, and a monkey would need a tail.
Heidi”



Now a welcome to Carol who has just joined us in this year’s TIAS. She says

“Morning Jane,
Very slow to start the tias this year sorry, but am catching up. Here's my effort to day 6 I think. I know I oopsed on a ring but hope to " fix" it later😉.
Carol 
From Numurkah, Victoria, Australia”




Finally in this batch I have Kerstin who says

“Dear Jane,
it’s a cold Sunday Morning in Germany and enough time to tat 😊
I’m not sure if my theory of an ape is still correct. There is something with the fingers… Could it be a three-toed sloth?
Hm, sure it has not less than 2 arms and 2 legs 😊
Have a nice day.
Yours Kerstin”

It’s cold here too, Kerstin.  Not sure about your guesses!!  Maybe!!!!!




Lynn has sent in her day 10 with this comment

 A robot? Sea creature?  Can’t wait to see the next instruction.”

Hmmmm, could be either of those.




Katie and her little troop of TIAS’s are next in my inbox and she says

“Hi, Jane and fellow tatters,
looks like the headless ones are good buddies! Waving to you all in friendly salutation, too.
Loved Heidi's Day of the Dead and Monkey heads! Well done! Let's see what Jane has come up with!
Happy tatting, everyone!
Katie V in NC”

I’m glad your headless ones get on so well, Katie.  It would be awful if they started fighting or arguing!!!  



Aonghas is next with his servant and he/she say

“Dear Jane,
Well Mom and I thought those feet could belong to a juggler, but the arms wouldn't work for juggling and it would be hard to tat separate items for that....so we think we're on "Team Monkey". Looks like this monkey is scratching his/ her head with one hand. The other could be holding a banana..... We like monkeys. In fact, that's one of Mom's nicknames for me....as she calls me her little monkey dog. 
Thanks for all of this fun! We look forward to our next installment on this TIAS. Of course, you might just be really tricking all of us as we know how tricky you can be.
Love,
Aonghas and his "servant", Kay Lynn”

Well I’m afraid you’re both going to have to wait and see!!!  




Finally in this session I have Mary who also seems to think this is a body but is getting impatient!!!

“Jane,
Clearly this is a body, but what is a better explanation? I’ll just have to wait and see. I can hardly wait to see the head!
Mary 
Tracy, California, USA



Sylvie has just arrived and she has this to say about her progress

“Hi Jane, my idea of a frog swimming is again I’m thinking , I’m curious to tat day 11. Good evening!
Sylvie”

Day 11 will be on Tuesday, Sylvie so look out for it then.



Next to pop into the inbox is Susan who has this to say

My dancing, long-legged turtles are excited to be getting their heads soon!  Or are they cheerleaders?”

I’m afraid you’re going to have to decide for yourself, Susan!!!



2 comments:

RuthP said...

Thanks Jane for including my tatting history.
Ruth in Narrabri, except I am in Brisbane at the moment!

RuthP said...

Love your heads Heidi! If it's okay with you, I might copy your nose idea when I fix my head later today.
Ruth